5 Ways to Overcome the HOLIDAY BLUES! | Orlando Relationship Counseling
As we approach Thanksgiving, we are entering the five-week period called “the holidays.” Although we are supposed to look forward to the holidays as a time of fellowship and happiness that is not always the case. Perhaps you have lost a loved one, a relationship has ended, you are divorced and the anticipation of splitting time with your children is creating anxiety, or you find that your anticipation and excitement often turns into stress, disappointment and frustration. The “holiday blues” can include uneasiness, anxiety, sadness, and even create unnecessary conflict with those closest to you.
Here are tips to get through this holiday season happily!
- Realize that no matter what you have planned the holidays will not automatically take away memories, feelings of loneliness, sadness and anger. Allow yourself to feel what you are feeling. Talking about it is always my first recommendation – it’s the best way to process your emotions and learn how to cope with your feelings. If you don’t have a close friend or family member this may be a good time to seek out a counselor.
- Be purposeful about enjoying the holidays – accept invitations without becoming over booked. If you don’t have plans then make some of your own. The point is to make the most out of the season and not stay down in the dumps. Push yourself to have fun even if you don’t feel like it, it will probably be worth it!
- Get in the holiday spirit! A Christmas tree, holiday decorations and music can get just about anyone in a festive mood. There is nothing like driving up to your home and seeing Christmas lights which are sure to put a smile on your face. This may seem simple but putting in a little effort to set the mood may be just the visual push you need to get you off to a good start.
- Be a blessing to someone else. Often times the best way to get our mind off our own stuff is to focus on someone else. The holiday season brings forth many opportunities to help those in need. From donating toys, sponsoring a family, or just simply volunteering your time at a homeless shelter there is so much that you can do. It will not only be rewarding but will give this holiday season much more meaning.
- Keep it simple! Don’t let the demands of the season exacerbate you. Shopping, parties, financial strain combined with over eating and over-drinking can cause fatigue. Pace yourself…if shopping is a stress then go for gift cards this year. Start your holiday planning early and you will be ahead of the game. Do your best to fit in exercise and try not to over indulge on food or alcohol. This will not help your mood.
Regardless of what you are going through and what this holiday season may be like for you to remember in five weeks it will be over. The choice is yours as to how you will spend the holiday season and you get to choose your attitude. As you look around you will find there are plenty of things to be thankful for. Sometimes life challenges may be too much to bear on your own if that is the case give Life Counseling Solutions a call we are here to help you get the happy back in your holiday season!
Veronica is dedicated to working with couples wanting to restore and or enrich their relationships through Life Counseling Solutions- Orlando Community Counseling Program. She is also passionate about helping individuals learn how to cope with the loss of a relationship and successful co-parenting. Veronica longs to help individuals overcome issues of abandonment, loneliness, depression and low self-esteem. Veronica also has a heart for the elderly and personally understands the challenges that come from caring for an aging parent. She is able to help families find strength and the tools to be successful during difficult transitions.
Call Veronica today to find out more information about Orlando Family Counseling Services at 407-622-1770.
Leave A Comment