Orlando Trauma and Multicultural Counseling | Meet Colleen
Difficult circumstances, unhealthy behaviors, and past hurts are devastating roadblocks that can prevent you from flourishing. However, Colleen believes you can change to live a happier and healthier life instead of surviving. She believes you just need the right assistance to grow and learn how to overcome.
Colleen values and makes it a point to foster a safe and non-judgemental environment where honesty and openness can take place. Along with traditional talk therapy, Colleen utilizes creative means (music, art, etc.) and Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy to explore her clients’ stories and to develop tools in managing/moving past distress.
- Anxiety: Restlessness, Stress Management, & Panic Attacks
- Misguided Youth: Adjusting to divorce/separation, Self-Harm/Cutting, Suicidal Thoughts
- Anger: Emotional Outbursts, Reactive Behaviors, and Increasing Arguments and Intensity
- Self-Esteem: Self-Doubt, Self-Image, & Assertiveness Issues
- Trauma: Family Dysfunction, Abuse history, & Past disturbing events
Colleen also has a passion for working with individuals dealing with cultural and race-related issues such as:
- Cultural and Racial Identity Issues
- Cultural Adjustment Difficulties
- Multicultural and racially different family integration
She is bilingual in English and conversational Mandarin (Chinese)
Colleen is trained in EMDR therapy. This type of therapy is to used to help safely process and heal from past disturbing events or trauma. According to EMDRIA, “EMDR has been extensively researched and proven effective treatment for trauma. The therapy is designated as an effective treatment by World Health Organization and U.S Department of Health and Humans services.”
Colleen is a Licensed Mental Health Counselor. She completed her Master’s degree in Counselor Education at the University of Central Florida, which is rated as one of the top 10 programs in the nation by US News and World Report in 2016.
Colleen spent her counseling internship working with a diverse set of individuals struggling with bipolar disorder and substance abuse to depression and anxiety. Over the last few years, Colleen worked as a Senior Youth Counselor in both Orange and Seminole County Public Schools. During her service in high schools, she ran counseling groups and serviced teens in individual/crisis counseling. She assisted teens facing issues such as panic attacks, behavioral issues, substance use, etc.
Get to Know Colleen
During her undergraduate years, Colleen witnessed a close friend endure paralyzing fear, dread, and hopelessness in a time of hardship. Through her friend’s experience, Colleen was exposed to the loss and isolation people can feel in times of adversity. This realization propelled her to pursue her counseling degree at the University of Central Florida in order to be better equipped to help others.
Colleen was born and raised in South Florida. Growing up, she struggled to discover and establish her cultural identity as a child of immigrants raised in the United States. Years later, Colleen began an interracial relationship, and faced internal and external difficulties that came with the decision. She used her own personal counseling to draw strength from her experiences that once challenged her. As a result, she now has a passion to help others who are facing similar difficulties. Colleen hopes to encourage others to take hold of their lives in order to triumph over adversity.
Contact Colleen Andre Today at 407-622-1770 or email@example.com
For more posts and information on mental health and wellness by Colleen, connect with her on Facebook by liking her page or following her on Instagram.
Articles by Colleen
- How to Control the Uncontrollable- Taming Anger
- 5 Tips to Endure the School Year
- Tamar Braxton and Domestic Violence- When Anger is out of Control
- Why do I still feel restless after “resting” at home from a busy day?
- Preventing Parentification
- How to Engage when Offended
- How to tell if Anxiety is an Issue in Your Life?
- Locker Room Talk & Sexual Abuse
- Am I dying or is it just a panic attack?
- How to Help Your Child when Facing Cultural Differences
- Tips to Manage Anxiety
- Dealing with Loss During the Holidays
- Holiday Survival Guide
- How to Accomplish your New Year’s Resolution
- Post-Vacation Hangover
- How to Stop Over Extending Yourself, and Start Saying No!