Most people have experienced a break-up in their lifetime. But, break-ups can be traumatic and difficult to get over for most people, so just how can individuals move through a break-up in a healthy way?
5 Healthy Break Up Do’s and Don’ts
1) Do break up in person vs. Don’t break up via text or e-mail
- Address your partner face-to-face so he/she can have a clear understanding of why you want out of the relationship.
2) Do be honest and direct vs. Don’t lie to him/her
- Don’t beat around the bush on why you want to call it quits. He/she deserves to know exactly why you’re unhappy. Plus, you may help him/her change a behavioral pattern down the line.
3) Do break up before you stray vs. Don’t drag it out
- Avoid jumping from one relationship to the next and avoid the guilt and drama that come along with cheating by recognizing when it’s time to let go, and then actually letting go. It’s also a good idea to give yourself some space before you move on to the next one.
4) Do express your feelings in “safe” ways vs. Don’t try to get rid of the feelings through destructive ways (i.e. drinking, etc.)
- Don’t run from your feelings, feel your feelings and process them with “safe” people.
5) Do celebrate your self-worth vs. Don’t do too much
- Remind yourself about all of your accomplishments. Remember not to be defined by your breakup.
Do to others as you would like have done to you. Keep in mind that we are all human, we all have feelings and like to be treated with respect and dignity. If you need to put an end to a relationship, try to put yourself in your partner’s shoes. Show kindness, respect and love as you explain as to why you want to end the relationship but be firm and stick to your decision as well.
If you are going through a difficult break up and are seeking assistance to feel whole again, Life Counseling Solutions is here to help! Call today at 407-622-1770 or click here to set up an appointment or free 15-minute phone consultation. Begin your healing process to love and embracing your whole self.